Job Title: Control Systems Engineer
Location: Oglethorpe, Georgia
Our client, a highly regarded industry leader with numerous prestigious awards, is seeking a Control Systems Engineer to join their dynamic team.
In this senior-level role, the Control Systems Engineer will be responsible for the analysis, planning, and optimization of manufacturing processes in the pulp and paper product production sector. Collaborating closely with operational teams, maintenance specialists, and project units, the Control Systems Engineer will play a pivotal role in achieving excellence in operational safety, reliability, environmental impact, quality, and overall cost-effectiveness through the strategic application of cutting-edge automation technologies. The position level may vary based on experience.
The following responsibilities are outlined to provide a comprehensive understanding of the role:
- Mastery of the project delivery process and active involvement in defining project objectives and deliverables that align with corporate objectives, plant safety, reliability enhancement, and improvement initiatives.
- Provision of comprehensive process control support to capital and maintenance projects by aligning them with business goals. This includes identifying control objectives, leading the selection of optimal control strategies, and overseeing their implementation.
- Continuous improvement of key process control metrics, including reducing alarms, minimizing operator interventions, enhancing control system utilization, and optimizing control performance for designated areas.
- Management, facilitation, and coordination of capital and operational projects with a control system scope.
- Collaborative efforts with Operators and Engineers to devise and implement advanced control strategies that enhance plant safety, process efficiency, profitability, and overall performance.
- Joint collaboration with the Process Control Application Technician (PCAT) within the assigned operational area to ensure robust support for maintenance, troubleshooting, tuning, and the enhancement of existing control schemes. This includes leading loop tuning efforts and guiding the PCAT’s work direction in designated areas.
- Provision of training and guidance on control-related topics to Operations, I&E Maintenance, and Technical personnel as needed.
- Act as the primary daily process control support for the assigned area within a Pulp Mill, working under the guidance of the process control group leader.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORKING ENVIRONMENT
- Use of mandated safety equipment is required.
- Occasional exposure to noise levels exceeding 90 dB.
- Occasional exposure to high temperatures exceeding 100°F.
- Frequent walking, climbing stairs/ladders, and working in confined spaces.
- Comfortable working at heights.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in engineering (Chemical, Electrical, or Mechanical).
- Proficiency in process control engineering, encompassing expertise in Honeywell DCS and Emerson Delta V control systems, industrial communication networks, field instrumentation, valves, analyzers, multivariable control, and Program Logic Controls (PLCs). Alternatively, the ability to rapidly acquire knowledge in these areas.
- A minimum of 2-5 years of experience in Pulp and Paper processes, process control, project engineering, maintenance, or operations.
- Strong leadership skills for project teams or task groups.
- Deep understanding of control systems theory and practical application.
- Ability to mentor and lead technical resources.
- Exceptional planning and project development/management skills.
- Action Oriented
- Customer Focus
- Navigating Ambiguity
- Drive for Results
- Functional/Technical Skills
- Integrity and Trust
- Interpersonal Acumen
- Agile Learning
- Collaborative Work Style
- Priority Setting
- Problem Solving
- Technical Learning
- Effective Time Management
- Timely Decision Making
Our client is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Location: Oglethorpe, Georgia
Job ID: 3147701